Thursday, January 03, 2008

new year randomness

i didn't realize that my settings prevented non-Blogger-registered people from posting comments. I have fixed this, so now anybody can post me a note. You can even insult me anonymously.

i have finally gone back to the gym. i haven't been since before the Boy Scout backpacking trip last August. it's not a New Years thing, just a thing i've been putting off for way too long. I look fine with clothes on, but i know i have declined in fitness, even with all the physical work of moving and fixing and cleaning. And since Dan has become Scoutmaster, our family recreation time has suffered and we haven't been hiking much at all. This must change!

Our cable/internet/phone was going out every night for almost the entire month of December. The WORST part of this is that I have not been able to watch any Project Runway, which I am mildly obsessed with.

The New Year's Eve party was a bit of a failure. Two couples showed up, and for them I am very, very grateful. Paul was very disappointed that none of his friends came (I had invited almost all of their parents). I don't know if the problem was that the party was kind of last-minute, everybody already had plans, that my ward is full of lame people, nobody really wants a kid-friendly party, or that everybody secretly hates me. Among those i have polled, the consensus is that my ward is mostly lame. They may very well hate me too, but they're still lame. ;)

I have been offered a job. A gentleman in my ward is a contractor and likes to have an at-home mom act as his scheduler. The latest gal has left the job and he thought I might be a good candidate. I'm not sure about it, but i told him I'd accept on a trial basis. i would be provided with a company cell phone and would have to take calls, schedule appointments for estimates, and email him his appointments once a day, all in exchange for a flat weekly pay rate. Not too bad. The pay may or may not be good, depending on how many hours of work it really shakes out to be. I feel as though the job should be offered to somebody who needs the money more than I do - even though i'm cheap, we aren't poor and don't need the extra money. I already mentioned it to one friend but she said she probably couldn't make it work. I'm not sure if I'm being offered charity. If I am, that's kind of funny.

Just bought three tickets to see Siouxsie Sioux play at the House of Blues in Anaheim (one for me, one for Dan, and one for Stephen). Well, I'm not going for Siouxsie so much as I'm going for my Melora (of Rasputina, my favorite band). Rasputina is the opener for Ms. S on this tour, so i view this as a chance to see my girl Melora (haven't been able to see her for a few years now) with a bonus after-show of Siouxsie. Hmmm, guess I should get S.S.'s new album. sadly, I am not enraptured with Ras' newest album, but that's not enough to diminish my overall love for them.

oh yeah, my Dad has cancer again. I actually wrote a full entry on it, but decided not to post it as it just got too emotional and revealing. He had a large tumor removed from his jaw last month and has pretty much all of the unpleasantness that you can imagine might result from a large hole being made in one's jaw. He was supposed to start radiation this month but his PET scan found another suspicious spot so everything is on hold for 10 weeks until he can get another scan or test or whatever, which will hopefully tell us if Dad has skated through yet another potentially fatal illness or if he's at risk of dying AGAIN. For those of you not in the know on Dad, he's had three heart attacks and this is oral/jaw cancer #2. I have to not think about it very often, because it just sets off a chain reaction of anger and hurt and threatens the very fragile emotional lid that i keep clamped on myself. I can only resolve from this that i will do my best to never engage in behaviours or make choices that threaten the security and stability of my own family. 'Nuff said.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Sorry about your dad.

Love you,
Steph