Sunday, April 20, 2008

the division of labor

I cook. Dan bakes. rarely are these lines crossed. I make good food; he bakes great cookies. He also likes to make breakfast goodies like pancakes, waffles, coffee cakes, etc. Right now, heaven bless him, he's in the kitchen making something top-secret while I'm supposed to be putting together my Singing Time for church today (shhh, don't tell him i was blogging).

BUT - it's Paul's 6th birthday this week. We're going to take him to Dizzyland (although I still have to figure out where we're going to stow Eli for a day), but on his birthday I want to bake cupcakes. What's more Happy Birthday than a homemade chocolate cupcake with homemade chocolate butter frosting? Then I'm going to sprinkle chocolate-covered sunflower seeds on top. I may get crazy and make German-chocolate style cupcakes with walnuts and coconut in the batter.

Last year Paul wanted a Halloween birthday party - he had been asking for one for six months. So Paul helped make the invitations - we just folded cardstock and Paul drew a ghost saying "boo" on each card. All of his friends came in costumes, we trick-or-treated around the park, and we had a pumpkin pinata (how the heck to you make an N with a tilde?). I made the spooky cupcakes in the above picture.

But this year, no big party. Just some cousins on Sunday with cupcakes, popcorn and a movie, and maybe another pinata (I was raised in southern California - it's just not a kid's party without one). Ah, the top-secret breakfast is ready - it's muffins with a sugar-cinnamon topping. I think Dan's trying to make me fat.

4 comments:

liannallama said...

oh, man! now you're making me hungry! I never cook or bake anymore. Matt does almost all the cooking and we forgo most sweets and breads at home!

But I do remember some of Dan's experimental brownies with Olive Oil in them--do you remember that? hahahahaha!

Stephanie said...

I do both - but John makes an amazing stir-fry! He's also king of the grill.

It's good to have roles in a marriage.

I hope you enjoyed the muffins!

Stephanie said...

I do both - but John makes an amazing stir-fry! He's also king of the grill.

It's good to have roles in a marriage.

I hope you enjoyed the muffins!

colleeeen said...

ha, ha, the olive oil brownies! i think we were desperate and that was the only fat we had in the house. ah well, questionable chocolate goodies are better than no chocolate goodies at all. ;)

steph, the muffins were FANTASTIC.