Tuesday, April 22, 2008

a tag I've never seen before

I made up this tag. feel free to do it in the comments here or on your own blog if you so desire.

Last 5 books you've read.

(I'm not counting cookbooks)

The Road to Oz
, L. Frank Baum
Ada Blackjack, Jennifer Niven
Living the Simple Life, Elaine St. James
about 8 different gardening books
Mary Reilly, Valerie Martin


Books on your "to read" list

Last 5 albums you've bought
(for those of us who still buy albums)

Dirty Boogie, Brian Setzer Orchestra
Astral Astronauts, Spoozys
Jukebox, Cat Power
Black and White Album, The Hives
Songs for Young Lovers, Frank Sinatra


5 Greatest/most influential albums you've ever heard
(not "stuck on a desert island," but music that changed things for you)


In The Aeroplane Over the Sea, Neutral Milk Hotel - i never tire of this album
This is Egg Speaking, Mummy the Peepshow - started me on my love of Japanese pop-punk
Mouth By Mouth, His Name Is Alive - my first brush with deconstructed songs
Kid A, Radiohead - the horns, the horns
Through the Looking Glass, Siouxsie and The Banshees - some of their best work

OK, Tag. You're it.

2 comments:

Beulahboy1 said...

What is a book?

Last 5 books I've read:

The Edifice Complex, Deyan Sudjic, currently reading.

Songs From the Edge Of The World: Siouxsie & The Banshees, Peter Routley.

The Headmaster Ritual,Taylor Antrim (I bought it because of the Smiths connection and the author looked cute. Not a good reason to buy a book)

Dream a Little Dream of Me: The Life of Cass Elliot, Eddi Fiegel (shut up, Colleen!)

Nights of Passed Over, Mark Kozelek

(I'm in school! Light reading only!)

5 books I want to read:
(How the hell do you link?)
Ummm... I just ordered a book about Vivian Vance (Ethel Mrtz to some)LIGHT reading,I said, LIGHT!

Last 5 albums:

Mark Kozelek - Nights LP
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
Hot Chip - Made In the Dark
Cat Power - Jukebox
Sun Kil Moon - April

5 MOST influential albums:
PEEPSHOW - Siouxsie and the Banshees: Started my love affair with everything black...

THE INNOCENTS - Erasure:I still want to sing like him (and never stop trying)

A DISTANT SHORE - Tracey Thorn: oh the drama of your first love! This details the beginnings of her 20+ year relationship with her current husband as it happened (1983). Simple, beautiful, melancholy. Her husband also released an album the same year detailing, guess what? Its great to compare notes.

LESSER MATTERS - The Radio Dept.: and so began my love for all things Svedish (lingonberries, anyone?)

There are so many more, but I have to end with this one:
UNIVERSAL MOTHER - Sinead O'Connor: When this bald beauty burst onto the music scene with Nothing Compares 2 U, who didn't stand up and take notice? It wasn't until this album was released a few years later that i understood what all the fuss was about. I think I've seen her live in concert more than any other of my favorite artists. Please don't tell Siouxsie.

colleeeen said...

God bless you, Stephen. poor Mama Cass.