Sunday, May 18, 2008

My Other Man

Friday, Stephen surprised me by calling to say he had the day off and was coming down to hang out with me. Of course i was thrilled, but also a little concerned, as the life of a full-time mom can be a little un-stimulating for a young single dude. He came down and since it was easily 100 degrees outside we mostly stayed in and talked, with a brief visit to Del Taco to help the boys release some energy by climbing on something other than Stephen. His critical mistake was agreeing to read a book to them (Dr. Seuss' What Was I Afraid Of?).

Dan was off on a Scout trip, so i booked our regular babysitter (the wonderful Melissa) and Stephen and i went out on a date. I knew that Dan would be super jealous when he found out, but only because he had to be in the mountains with his spoiled Scouts and not out having fun with us. Because south Orange County suffers from a lack of cultural institutions, downtowns, dance clubs and music venues, we ended up where Dan and i always end up - the Irvine Spectrum. Gads, i am boring. But we had fun and people-watched (although i did not see that unusual teenager who looks like a cross between Beetlejuice, Bob Dylan and Dr. Who) and Stephen at at Chipotle for the first time. I did not get to experience Pinkberry, however, because our burritos were much too big for our stomachs.

it was awesome fun because Stephen makes it that way. but i think i'm going to have to break down and read that awful rag, the OC Weekly, to see if there is anything slightly less slick and corporate and structured to do here in south county. i know i'm a homebody right now, but even to me this place just seems like a cultural wasteland.

4 comments:

Susan M said...

I'm not much for nightlife, except for going to see specific bands play. We do live in suburban hell. I just live in a surf town so it makes up for it.

I just saw an excellent show in Long Beach last night, probably not your kind of thing...But there are a handful of local venues that occasionally have good bands. One is called the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano. It's a bit of a dive but they sometimes have somewhat decent acts, even if most are 80s has-beens. :)

We took our teenage kids to a nickel arcade down the street Friday night and it was the most fun we've had in awhile.

Stephanie said...

I always order my Chilpotle burritos "naked" but I ask them for one of their fine tortillas. They put everything in a bowl and I eat it with little pieces of the tortilla. I tend to eat less and I can have the rest of the bowl for another meal.

I just wanted to give you some cool information, because I can't comment on anything cool. The last concert I went to was "Chicago" without any of the original members of the band. I think that was in 1997.

colleeeen said...

nickel arcades are awesome. Paul is old enough to have fun at one, but Eli would just be a terror. i've been meaning to check out the Gypsy Lounge, they seem to have a lot of local acts play there. and hey, i like 80's has-beens!

Steph, i love my friends who are hip, and i love my friends who don't give a flip about hipness. and even if you are somewhere else on the bell curve, i still love you.

Beulahboy1 said...

I think it is interesting that no one cares that you have your "other man". i guess in a cultureless "suburban hell", these things are to be expected. Thanks for the compliment, by the by, and I wanted to let you know that i will be out of town from 5/21 to 6/1 and then start school on 6/2. I'm going to madison wisconsin to see friends and then off to South Carolina to see other friends. i had to get it in before summer school. I am hoping to see you after I get back. I have decided i am also going to start blogging because even if no one reads it, it would be nice to have a temporary record of my trials and tribulations.

talk to you when i get back!