Saturday, July 26, 2008

With my tail between my legs...

I crawled back to California. Given the Suburban's absolute gutlessness on uphills, at times it literally felt like a crawl. On the way home, the taillight wiring decided to go funny, so every time I turned on the headlights, the fuse would blow. There was no way I could fix it, so I bought reflective stickers for the back of the car in case I got caught driving after dark.

Montana was great, although like all vacations with children it was really just doing most of the same chores I do at home, although with a MUCH better view. We canoed and swam and played fetch with random dogs. I'll have pictures up here in a day or two.

The vegetable garden mostly did well in my absence. I wish somebody had eaten some of the tomatoes; a lot have already gone to waste. I picked at least eight gigantic hornworms off of them while pruning this morning. They boys are so hard up for pets that they have put the hideous things in the terrarium and are feeding them the pruned tomato branches. I have a crop of yellow pear tomatoes in the dehydrator right now, and a basket full of Sun Golds that may mostly have to be chucked out because they are waaaay over-ripe. We had one comically huge patty-pan squash and a few normal-sized ones. Some of the corn is looking awesome, but most of it is dying. It's my fault for taking too long to plant most of it. the pepper plants are a mystery - they have not grown at all and are producing miniature peppers.

I will give a more complete narrative of the several comical events that occurred during our little adventure. I just wanted to toss up a note and let anybody who cares know that we are home.

5 comments:

courtney said...

we care that your FINALLY home. I can only imagine the comedy that took place on your vacation. hope to see pictures soon. again we are glad that you are home and home safe.

liannallama said...

glad you're home safe and sound! you're going to be so happy with those veggies especially with all the veggie scares this summer--how I long for the space for a small garden!

Beulahboy1 said...

Once again, I had to re-sign-up to leave a comment. Same information as last time. My original message read:

"I'll help you eat whatever you have left over! Glad you ar efinally back. Let me know how your appointment goes on Tuesday."

Stephanie said...

Glad you are back! Can't wait to see pictures of the worms!

Ken said...

Sounds like you had a fun trip. Glad the veggie-mobile made it. We might really need to plan a visit soon.