Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back in the Saddle

At Saddleback college. I checked the online schedule today, and amazingly there was an opening in one of the two formerly closed Biology 20 class courses I really wanted. So I'm registered and have a spot in a class! Starting next Tuesday, at 7:30 am, I will be back in college. I am nervous and have small misgivings (I had a dream last night that I left/abandoned Eli with some long-lost cousin and went to France for 6 months), but this feels right and really good.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the boys. Paul starts first grade (!!!!) on September 4, but Eli will still need to be watched. Dan is being very supportive and says that in the worst case he will bend his work schedule a little bit in order to accommodate me. That's love, kids.

And Paul's return to school puts me in a dither vis-a-vis daily lunches. Nuts are not allowed (grrr), and for semi-vegetarians like us that creates a wee problem. No PB&J's or AB&J's?! It's an insult. But between tofu, eggs, seitan, and rice & beans I can give him sufficient protein. I just love the simplicity of a good nut butter sandwich. I'll never go as fussy and pretty as Vegan Lunch Box, but he'll eat well anyway.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I luurrrve Vegan Lunch Box. I don't think I would ever go that extreme, but I love the idea of putting a healthy meal together for school. I'm coveting the laptop lunchbox system, but still can't bring myself to spend 40 bucks on a lunchbag that she may or may not lose.

Good luck at school! You're going to be great! You've got a lot of support and things are going to work out splendidly. I can just feel it.

liannallama said...

oh--congrats to you--glad you got your class! That no nuts thing is really difficult--I think I lived on PB&J when I was a kid!

Aunt Christine said...

technically, a cashew is not a nut. do I smell a loophole?

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

Congrats on going back to school. I remember way way way back when we started college together. Now it seems like another life. Wow I just realized that it was half my life ago!!!

colleeeen said...

Steph, I hear ya. No expensive lunchboxes for us, just an old Tupperware case that i picked up at the thrift store.

sunflower seed butter may be my loophole-jumping-through food. cashew allergies are not unknown.

umm yeah, R, we started college in, what ...cough cough..., 1991? i feel extremely ancient now.