Friday, August 29, 2008

Quite A Week

D's employer, Aristos Logic, was just purchased this week, by Adaptec. This has caused some disruption at work and sucked up a lot of D's at-home time, due to the enormous amount of paperwork involved in signing yourself over to a new employer. Investment plans, health insurance, etc., etc.

One week of college out of the way. If only I could say the same for the homework. I am taking Biology in order to wake up my brain and train it for the actual required classes (Anatomy, Microbiology, Physiology), and now I'm glad I did it this way. I am not at all accustomed to being tested on what I have read. I read the first chapter of my textbook, took the mock quiz at the end, and only got about half the questions right. I apparently have many neural pathways that need to be dusted off. Textbook comprehension is a skill I have allowed to atrophy.

And the class is at 7:30 am, two days a week. Waking up at 6:00 to get ready, catch the bus, and pay attention in class is not problem at all. But that middle-of-the-day "I want a nap" phase is going to be a problem. Yesterday was the lab, and I quickly eliminated one young lady as a future lab partner due to her astonishing level of ignorance (which she was happy to flaunt) and lack of any curiosity or interest in what we were doing. I am not actually very old, and yet I felt so unbelievably older and more experienced than any of the kids surrounding me. They still talk about what cars are better, whether particular Judas Priest albums are for posers or the truly cool, and how "Blake is so like totally such an a-hole." I finally had to put on my iPod. (By the way, if you like electronic bleep-bloop dance music, the Faint's new album has a couple of killer tracks.)

At least I have solved the problem of what to do with Eli. My sister-in-law gave me the # of a woman she goes to church with, and she'd love to watch Eli for an extra $100 a month. Yee-Haw! I'm back in college!

3 comments:

Ken said...

Eye heart anatomy!

I don't remember as much as I wish I did. Rusty neuropathways indeed.

liannallama said...

Good for you! Congrats on your first week--you will be up to speed in no time!

Susan M said...

That's awesome.

Are you still up for going to Calexico? I've been really busy lately and my blog has been down for like, two weeks. Driving me crazy. Anyway let me know if you still want to go and I can pick us up tickets.