Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Hair Gloss

I believe I have mentioned that Paul wants to grow his hair down to his waist. He is very enamored of his hair and wants to make sure that it looks nice, so he tolerates me combing out the bedhead every morning and occasionally using a little bit of hairspray to make his bangs behave. I thought my lack of daughters meant I would be spared from hairstyling duty, but Paul has proven me wrong.

For the last two mornings, when I have started to comb Paul's hair, there has been a strange, sticky, slippery substance on the back of his head. We inspected the pillows and chairs and found nothing, so finally I asked Paul if he had put something in his hair. The look on his face told me all I needed to know. We asked him what he had used, and he said, in a thoroughly embarrassed little voice, "Hair stuff." I knew there was no way whatever was in his hair was actually a hair product. So he led us to the bathroom and pointed to... a pot of lip gloss. After we stopped laughing, we had to send him off to school with lip gloss in his hair because there was no time to wash it out.

10 comments:

courtney said...

That is really funny!! they think they are so independant but in our world they really are NOT! Noah on the other had wont let me even get near him with gel, hairspray or a comb for that matter. He looks so cute with his long hair. He looks like he could be modeling for a surf company.

Susan M said...

I spend more time on my 14yo son's long hair than I ever have my daughter's! Lip gloss is a new twist, though!

samandholly said...

Sara had a head full of "hairspray" during conference, courtesy of her older sister. Alas, it was Holly's lavender BODY spray. She stunk for the rest of the day!

colleeeen said...

Paul told me last night that he is cool, because he has surfer hair and "surfers are mostly cool, with their big tattoos." I told him no tattoos, and that he is cool because he has a good heart and is a good person. I'm trying to teach him that the appearance of "cool" is only an illusion. I think he'll definitely not continue in public school after 5th grade!

Stephanie said...

Cute Paul. You know, some of those hair gels are probably not far off, ingredient wise, from lip gloss.

I'm just saying - maybe he's more of a genius than we're giving him credit for!

Ken said...

Oh hair, how powerful and important you are... (and don't we know it!)

I remember, very distinctly, Colleen and Danny's hair, from many occasions.

But it's just hair.

I keep my boys' hair pretty short. Duncan doesn't seem to care too much about his, and Liam says he likes "sleepy" hair (bed head), but I think it's because he doesn't like having it combed in the morning.

liannallama said...

oh, I am cracking up at your sweet little angel! As far as your post below--don't worry so much--but I hope you feel sorry for me when I am 95 and unable to retire, LOL!

Kimberly said...

That was a crack up. Sabrina will hardly let a brush touch her hair. She completely lacks in the vanity department, which is both a blessing and a curse( blessing on my wallet, curse when it comes to social awareness.)If I were more bold, I'd allow her to just let her hair turn to dreads- because I think she'd be happy not to have to do anything to it. You'd think she'd welcome shorter hair- with all the fuss she makes, but I swear she still has her sights set on achieving some level of Rapunzelhood. Yeesh!

Julia Harps said...

That is a great story!

thefoxkids said...

just wait until he's almost 13 and wants the "cool long surfer hair" but doesn't want to spend more than 2 seconds in the shower.. Brad's hair goes on death row every fall (it's on right now as a matter of fact) where he has x
many days to get it to smell like boy and not dog (ok so some may say whats the diff) then comes out the clippers because he'd rather face the clippers than his mother barging into his shower to make sure he's washing his hair properly.. he'd die if he knew i was spilling his ways.. but hey why the heck did i have kids if I can't share stuff like that..
cute story!!