Sunday, November 09, 2008

Seed Sale!

I do not know if any of you are as geeky about gardens as I am, but Renee's Garden is having their annual half-off sale - vegetable, herb, and flower seeds. I just placed an order for Scarlet runner beans, Painted Lady runner beans, Spanish Musica beans, Edamame, the Asian Eggplant Trio, and some old-fashioned hollyhocks. Half off of all in-stock seed packets (that's $1.35 a packet) until November 20th, and $4.50 shipping in the US. I will have a wall of beans shading the sunny side of the house this summer!

Go here to check out the selection.

The winter garden is coming along. The tomatoes were not getting enough sun where they were, so I dug them up and put them in a sunnier spot. I have Stupice, Glacier, and Taxi tomatoes. I am still getting eggplants in November! The squash, watermelon and cantaloupe vines have all been ripped out. I picked up some more straw bales secondhand after Halloween (folks use them as party decorations), and have now filled in the trench along the sunny side of the house using the newspaper-hay-straw-compost method.

The front yard is coming back together. Dan helped me lay the flagstone path back down and I put some crocus bulbs in between the stones. Once I decide what I'm doing to kill the weeds that have begun to sprout up, I will seed the front yard with California native grasses and wildflowers. It's very small, difficult to water, and thick with tree roots (there's a half-dead plum tree), so I don't want to turn it into another veggie plot. It will be my little patch of natural California.

4 comments:

liannallama said...

Oh, I love hollyhocks and your garden sounds so cool! I hope you post photos! Does using newspaper to compost cause trouble with edible veggies since the ink has lead in it? I don't know anything about compost/gardening/green stuff, but I am curious about that nasty newsprint!

colleeeen said...

i think most papers have gone to soy-based inks, and i try to keep color photos out of the works, just to be safe. i just ran a search and the Times uses soy-based ink for their newsprint, but i can't find out about their color inks. The Energy Department address newspaper mulch and says "Negligible amounts of lead are introduced into soils and plants from newspaper mulch." since nobody stands to make any money from using old papers as mulch, i feel i can trust that information. Plus, the newspaper is at the very bottom of the assembly and won't be touched by most of the roots.

i will also be growing some pink larkspur, which i am ridiculously excited about. next to my golden lupine it will look amazing.

Kimberly said...

You make me want a yard of my own. Right now, I'm just keeping my parents' place as close to what they left as possible (at their request).

I love native grasses and wildflowers. I think someone was having an enlightened moment when they chose the California Poppy as our state flower... it is one of my favorites. I've never seen golden lupines- just purple and white. Garden grown veggies take the cake. You can keep them organic, you don't have to pay freight, you don't have to pay rediculous farmer's market blow up prices, and they taste better because you can pick them at the peak of ripeness.

Hats off to you!

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

I must admit I too Love garden seeds, and love looking at seed catalogues and dreaming of wonderful gardens. I wish I knew a little more about actually getting them in the ground though. Our neighbors are distributers for Burpee. (is that hoe you spell it?) They gave me two grocery bags full of seed packets, flowers and vegetables. I drooled over them, sorted into fall and spring planting categories, and dreamed of how great it was going to be. Than I look at my weed infested clay and think of my plants that were destroyed by cucumber beetles and I don't know what to do. So all my wonderful seeds are still in their bags. I need to find someone who can come over and actually help me do it and teach me. reading books doesn't really help, I learn best hands on. But I still love my seeds and the potential they hold.