Sunday, December 21, 2008

Cancer Sucks.

As I'm sure you already know.

Pop's back in the hospital again. Turns out the stomach/GI problems he's been having for the last two months are caused by the cancer. It's spread into his abdomen and some of his bones. The doctors say six months, but you know the answer really is "who knows?" He should be home by Christmas, and we'll have in-home hospice care from then on. Dad's in good spirits, as good as anybody can be in this situation, but he's in pain, too. He'll probably be on morphine from here on out.

I'm planning to spend every Friday-Sunday up in Chino from now on. Paul will be enrolled in the after-school program two days a week. I think I'll still be able to pull off taking Chemistry this spring- thank heavens it's a M/W class.

We canceled our Yosemite vacation, which my Mom thinks was stupid of us, but on Friday we just didn't know how bad it was or wasn't. We may still drum up the desire to do something. we'll see how it all plays out with Pop.

9 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am soooo sorry. I love you. Give your mom a hug from me.

liannallama said...

oh, honey! This has got to be the hardest thing! I am glad you will be able to spend time with him every week. (((HUGS))) to you! PS--can you email me your new address? I want to send Christmas cards and I am still hopeful that I can send a few!

Rachel said...

What can I do for you? My skills include making blankets and taco soup and funny things out of felt. I can also sit and listen. And I'm good at hugs and prayers.

Nora's world said...

I'll clean my house so you can come visit.

thefoxkids said...

((((HUGS)))) Wishing you peace and lots of time to just "BE" with your Dad these next few months.. I admire your commitment to spend your weekends with him I can't even bring myself to imagine all that your family is going through..
hugs again
KyLeyne

colleeeen said...

thanks so much. my parents would surely love company, so anybody in the Chino region would be welcome to visit them, or me when i'm up there. Pop loves company, he's a very social animal. Just be prepared, he's quite thin now and he doesn't speak so clearly since he's missing a lot of his tongue (stupid cancer). anybody is welcome to call me or my mother anytime, too. i warn you, i may cry, even though i try VERY hard not to. i hate crying. and we'll probably talk about anything other than my Dad.

Marque and Sarah said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Please tell your dad i said hello and that he is in our prayers. I have so many fond memories of him and his barber shop from the time I was 8 years old.

Kimberly said...

Cancer does suck. My heart goes out to you and your family. Spending time with your dad is the right thing, and precious. You'll be glad you did. I admire your committment to school too- despite all the difficult stuff ahead. You're a brave woman. I'm here for you if you want- just a phone call, email, or blog away.

Anonymous said...

Man, I wish you lived closer. I used to be a patient advocate for cancer patients, and witnessed more times than I can reemember families just like yours and the pain cancer brings to everyone involved. I wish you and your family the very best and am sending many hugs and blessings your way. You are all definitely in my thoughts and prayers. I am so glad to hear you will be able to spend the weekend with your pops. Those memories will be precious and priceless. I know I live far away, but if you ever need anything (I am GREAT at listening, etc.) please give me a call. I am not sure if you have my phone number. I will send it on Facebook. (O:



xoxoxoxo!

Patricia