Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Iris, My Heroine

Last Thursday night, I went grocery shopping. I had to take the boys because Dan was working late. They are always crazy at night, and Thursday was no exception. I wrestled them out of the car (Eli had already kicked off his shoes), strapped Eli into the cart while he screamed like a banshee, tried to keep them from doing too much damage in the store, paid, then went out to the car. My keys were not in my purse. They were not in my pocket. They were in the ignition. In my locked car. "I'll call AAA," I thought. Then I noticed my cell phone was on the seat. In my locked car. Paul said "Why aren't we getting in the car?" I explained the situation. I don't know about where you live, but pay phones are disappearing around here, fatalities of the cell phone. I had no idea where I was going to find one.

As we were walking by the store entrance, Paul asking what we were going to do and me saying "I have no idea," a woman overhead us and asked if we needed help. I had to admit that yes, yes, I actually did. She offered her cell phone and her AAA membership, so I called AAA and they gave me a 45-minute window. It was 8:00 at night and Eli had no shoes on, nobody had a jacket on. Iris (the woman's name) asked if we needed her to stay with us. I said she didn't need to spend 45 minutes of her night waiting with us, but she insisted and even got a jacket and blanket out of her car for us.

AAA took 45 minutes, and Iris stayed with us the whole time. We had such a good time chatting. Certain verbal cues made me suspect she was LDS. I admit I asked leading questions, and once I was sure, told her that we are too. So we exchanged phone numbers and made a date to have lunch on Monday. Eli and I went over to her (big sigh here) very nice and stylish home. She's dazzlingly nice, we have a tremendous lot in common, and we're going to a party at her house next month. Plus, she and her husband go backpacking. I don't want to get too optimistic, but it looks like we might have potential new friends on our hands.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yea for happy helpers - and a perfect start to a friendship.

I'm glad you got the help you needed.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! thats awesome. I hope that a wonderful and long lasting friendship develops between the four of you. Its so nice to find wonderful people like that to renew and restore ones faith in mankind.

Kimberly said...

Nice people make me happy. Iris was in the right place at the right time. Kismet.

Iris said...

Yes I was, and so glad of it for myself too!!! I loved that night and can't wait to know you better!