Friday, December 12, 2008

Take Some Action

I have pasted this exactly as i found it on the Design Mom blog:

Friends. I know you're busy with your holiday projects and errands, but I ask you to please join with me in taking a few minutes to help out thousands of our peers who are about to be put out of business.

In short, because of some well-meaning, but mis-guided legislation, hand-made toys (like the gorgeous wooden teethers at Little Alouette) — and all hand-made items for children — are about to become illegal. Which sounds like an exaggeration, but isn't.

The ladies at Cool Mom Picks have written up an excellent post detailing the situation. Please go read all about it. And then do this:

-Find your congress person and senators and write a letter like the sample here, particularly if they serve on the consumer protection subcommittee.
-Send a letter directly to the CPSC.
-Join the Handmade Toy Alliance and check out their proposed changes to the act which make a whole lot of sense.
-Spread the word to everyone you know who cares about helping the little guy, particularly in today's economy.

Back to me again: I love handmade toys. As currently written, the CPSIA will drive small American toy makers out of business by requiring prohibitively expensive safety testing. Small-scale American toy makers have an excellent safety record, unlike huge companies which have their toys manufactured in China. Please help keep small toy-making artists in business. Send a letter today; it only takes a few minutes.


4 comments:

Rachel said...

Action taken! Thanks for sharing this. I had no idea. I could talk for days about how I feel about big business eating small business for lunch and how the government picks up the tab and how it is directly related to this enormous mess we're in. But I won't. Instead I'll just say that I love writing to congress. I mean, I really love it. It's a huge hobby of mine. I have no doubt that Dianne Feinstein rolls her eyes everytime she sees my name. And that gives me immense satisfaction.

Casey said...

Thanks for the info. I'm all for handmade stuff and also for those willing to work and work hard to make money. You know how I feel, I'm not a fan of all the legislation that goes on that hinders people to do their own thing. The less government gets involved, the better.

amy turn sharp of doobleh-vay said...

thank you so so much for this post. It is perfect- it is what we all need to keep talking about. Thank you for the mention of my teethers- it means so much and I am so honored!! xo

Lora and Carl said...

Did you know that I (Lora) spent the first 10 years of my life making and selling wooden toys? After that, my dad moved to unfinished furniture, bookshelves, tables, and chairs. I appreciate your support of such things. It is hard work, but most of the toys my dad, sister and I made are still around today due to good quality and simplicity of design. I wish I could continue the tradition with my children. Maybe someday we will! Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!