Thursday, January 01, 2009

Dad is home.

He came home on Tuesday afternoon. Wednesday was Mom's birthday - Happy Birthday, Mom! And I mean that in both a sarcastic and a genuine tone. We went over for a little birthday party - Mom got a nativity (she has quite a collection), a hummingbird feeder, and some small things that I was too distracted to notice. What else, Mom? Then we partied hard - Trivial Pursuit and then Uno 'till the new year rang in. We did not watch the ball drop; I have decided that until we have a New Year's event in our own time zone, I ain't watchin'.

There is some debate over the efficacy of the TPN feeding Dad is receiving. Apparently it will do little to extend his life and in some cases causes its own complications. The sad, ugly, horrible truth is that Dad will likely die of malnutrition. He is very thin now, and sometimes he is clouded by the morphine, but then sometimes he is lucid and makes jokes and is still very particular about how he wants things done. Tricia, I do need to call you.

We are getting through. I don't know how my mother is doing it. I don't know how to help her without completely uprooting Paul's life or making Dan be a single Dad all week long.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yea for Dad being home! Yea for Mom having a birthday! Booo on cancer and all that it's messed up so far.

liannallama said...

I'm glad he can at least be at home now. Make sure to take care of yourself and don't get too run down in your efforts to help him and your mom. They need you to be strong.

(((HUGS)))

Kimberly said...

Life happens, if a little uprooting happens along with it, you're not harming anyone. School, scheduled life, and things like it can always recover, but time with your dad is precious. Don't worry about thrusting others into change. They all want to be there for you and your dad too. It is a support system, you just have to be willing to let others be a part of yours. I'm available some late afternoons/evenings and most weekends for babysitting if it helps any. My plan is to have my house completely presentable after Friday this week (new year's resolution). Sabrina would LOVE the company and we have a park just a hop, skip, and jump away. Hit me up!

Lora and Carl said...

We are so sad to hear of this happening to your dad. Give him our love.