Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Just to Wallow in it

some pictures of the Avocado House.

I'm actually relieved we didn't get it. It would have wiped out our savings. It would have been a debt obligation and an additional burden keeping us in Orange County. I warned y'all that bad times were coming and now they are here. I had been hoping that 2009 would be our year to get a house-house, but now I'm scared and I think cash in the bank (an FDIC-insured bank) is even better.

I had what I thought was a great idea - we should find a big ol' 5-bedroom house to rent and split it with Matt & Courtney. I just found one in Mission Viejo, almost 2200 sf on an 8500 sf lot and the rent's only $2400 a month. Imagine how much money we could all save if we split that rent. But I can't get that stone rolling and so of course I'm back to being worried about everybody. I know there are potential pitfalls, but I think if we all had the right spirit about it this could work out great for all of us. Big fat sigh.

Am I obsessed with money? It's not the money so much as it is the security that it provides. Cash in the bank makes me feel safe. It's a buffer against disaster. Sure, I'd love a big ol' TV and a Wii and a fancy house with windows whose frames aren't rotting (oh, and a gas stove). But I'd rather feel safe than spoiled.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

As someone who just finished having several meltdowns over losing a job, I can tell you without hesitation: KEEP THE MONEY IN THE BANK!!!! The house is lovely, but there will be other lovely houses at the right time.

Lora and Carl said...

sigh.

Stephanie said...

The house is beautiful, but another one will come along. It will be better, cheaper and have three avocado trees.

Julia Harps said...

I feel your pain. that is a cool house.

Jared said...

You always have a place in Salt Lake. :) If you ever want to split our $900 mortgage. It might be a tight fit for the family but for you, Dan and the kids... anything. ;) Then again, ours is not avocado.

colleeeen said...

i think i will just sit and weep for a while now that i know somebody with a $900 mortgage.