Saturday, February 28, 2009

blitz update

92% on the exam. That pulls me up to 84% overall in the class - missing that week hurt me.

Yard Sale Scores: top-secret gifts for my siblings (hint: 80's flashbacks), three galvanized aluminum tubs (one of which will be turned into a patio planter for Julia), a copy of The Adventures of Tintin: The Broken Ear, some books and a tiny little Ganesh statuette for the boys, and an awesome knit cap.

The Ganesh statuette reminds me - if you have an hour and a half to burn, watch Sita Sings The Blues. It's an adorable little animated film of the story of Sita and Rama and the end of their marriage, from the Ramayan, and the music in it is mostly 1920's Annette Hanshaw songs. It is partially narrated by three Indians recalling the Rama stories from their childhoods, and interwoven with the story of the filmmaker's own epic breakup. It was at one point being prevented from distribution because the copyright holders of Hanshaw's songs want to be paid upfront rather than strike a deal for a share in the profits. Be patient with the structure and let it charm you.

On March 26th, I'm teaching a vegetable gardening class for church. Should be fun, and should spur me to get the side yard cleaned up!

5 comments:

Julia Harps said...

I can't wait to have a planter! Seriously. I will for sure be at your class as well. I believe I have been hearing chatter that lots of people will be there. Can't wait.

Julia Harps said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Someone has been posting and deleting!! i wonder if they are angry and said spiteful things and then thought the better of it? hmmmm....i must first say that the contents described in this blog are THE VERY REASONS why you would not survive in 1000 square feet and 1 bathroom. I think Dan knows you too well...of course, I would have been right behind you scooping up the bargains, so I am not judging. just ask my closet with 83 boxes 30 pairs of shoes...

Julia Harps said...

It was I. I had accidentally entered the same comment twice.

Doug & Laurel said...

Hi Colleen
I stumbled across your blog on LDS BLOGS. I thought you mighe be interested in a site my wife and I just built called MormonsMadeSimple.com, which uses simple, explanatory videos to explain the Mormon faith. Feel free to feature any of these videos on your blog, or just share them with non-member friends. We're hoping these videos will be missionary tools to help members share their beliefs. Anyway, sorry to spam your comments section. I couldn't find any contact information for you on your blog.

- Doug & Laurel