Saturday, February 21, 2009

He's Still Not Agreeing!

Said with a pouty stomp.

Dan and I tend to agree quite often. That and a few other secret things are, in my mind, the key to us being married almost 14 years now and still not wishing each other dead. HOWEVER, we are locked in a loving but quite serious disagreement about the little cabin. I have promised him a flat-screen TV if he will give in, but still he holds firm. I told him that losing 300 SF would only mean giving up the office (which has just turned into a family-ignoring hideout for us anyway) and that end of the living room that we never spend any time in anyway because it's on the other side of the kitchen. I said I'd sell our oversized antique mahogany dressers that weigh 5,000 pounds or so each, although that would really hurt because my Dad gave them to me. But they are just too big.

But I think of how different our lives could be if it only cost us around $700 a month to have a roof over our head. If Dan doesn't get laid off (please oh please oh please), that's an extra $1300 we could be saving each month. A small house means we will be less tempted to fill it up with stuff. Dan could become a teacher, like he wants to, and we could still afford to live in southern California. I could be a per diem nurse (basically an independent contractor) and we could take entire summers off.

But he's hung up on 1000 SF and one bathroom. I understand, I do. But it's possible that a downstairs bathroom could be added. We could build a carport with a higher roof and shelves for storing stuff in tubs and maybe some kayaks (Irvine Lake is only a few miles away), and I could put a living roof on it for the vegetable garden.

there's so much potential.

3 comments:

samandholly said...

I'm not taking Dan's side, but...
As a person who is currently going through the torture of trying to pack up everything and get ready to move out of a 1200 sqft house, let me just advocate for as much space as possible. While you say at first, "Oh, we only have 1200 sqft, we'll just accumulate less stuff," you are wrong. You still get stuff. You just keep finding new ways to hide the new stuff you keep bringing into the same small house. Then nine years later, you have to move out of your tiny little house and then there's TOO MUCH STUFF to deal with. Then you scream and your kids learn new words that even you shouldn't know and your mother (well, maybe not MY mother, but someone's) would be shocked to hear come out of your mouth. Yes, your intentions are good in the beginning, but we all give in to the stuff accumulation (some would say hoarding tendencies) gene in the end. Just beware...

Lora and Carl said...

I'm not taking Colleen's side, but...As a person with more than twice as many kids as you all, and living in only 500 sq ft more than you have and doing just fine--I'd say it sounds like a great idea. (Read L.Tom Perry's latest conference talk and you'll be more convinced.) Also, as a woman who has moved her ever growing family 10 times (and we're still renting darnit...) STUFF is so overrated--actually it completely sucks--I was just trying to be lady like. I don't know all the details, but it sounds like a piece of heaven. We lived in 896 sq ft (with our basement and 7 of us, 1 bathroom for 4 years--all happy memories--

Just adding my 2 cents, heck I'd add 1 cent if I could. Cheaper ya' know!! (hee-hee this is Lora, Carl would probably tell me to stay out of it...) ;-)

Kimberly said...

I have to say that I'm a big advocate of sizing down on clutter and extraneous stuff. Of course, theory and practice... do not always sync. If I had less "stuff" I'd be able to make do with less space. It is sort of a zen/feng shui philosophy, but truly the more I have and less I purge- the worse I feel. I can't wait to move into my own place and just toss out most things so I can start new with fewer items. So I feel for you. I'd sacrifice a lot to be in a place I love. I'm a big fan of Silverado.