Thursday, April 30, 2009

Chicken Yurt

The chicks are growing, which means that they were getting a little crowded in their cage and driving me crazy with their endless chirping. So I'm keeping them outside during the day in the chicken yurt. The boys have a geodesic-dome-climbing-thingy, so I wrapped it in chicken wire and threw the canopy from a damaged patio umbrella over the top. Voila! Shade, containment, protection from hawks and cats. The chicks are very happily pecking at the dirt, giving themselves dirt baths, napping in the sun. And they love to eat earwigs. I was turning the compost pile and found another massive infestation (sometimes natural living is a pain), so I scooped as many as I could into a bucket and dumped them into the yurt. Those chicks are born bug-eaters! One of my Grandma Porter's sayings was "Faster than a chicken on a junebug," and now I know what she meant.

EDIT! Turns out I am already going senile. Grandma used to say, "Faster than a DUCK on a junebug." Carry on.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE the idea of a chicken yurt. You are a genius.

Kimberly said...

I wonder if Mongolian chickens are treated half as well.

Stephanie said...

I want a chicken yurt so badly!! And a compost pile with earwigs . . . you are living a beautiful life.