Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Coopin'

The coop is now about 90% finished and is functional but ugly. It needs paint badly, as it is mostly clad in plywood scrap that has been out in the sun for too long. I was at Le Home Depot yesterday trying to pick out a color, but MY GOSH it was color overload and I just couldn't pick! I want it to be obnoxiously bright and cheery, but yellow is out because that is the planned color for the backyard furniture (yes, Stephen, the ones we retrieved together - at least the couch is sanded!).

There was an awesome fucshia-purple, a peacock blue, a fiery lava orange, a very caribbean coral, and of course bright grass green. All of which would be lovely and make my white-trash side yard look a little better taken care of. But which one? The coop has a white roof and the most visible side of it is 4' tall by 8' wide. The paint will be matte, because matte claims to "hide surface imperfections" and boy is it imperfect. What color would you paint YOUR chicken coop?

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think I would go for the pink, but I would be a cheapskate and pick whatever is on the "mistakes" tray at Le Home Depot. I'm sure there is a color there waiting for a coop to paint!

Rachel said...

Have you consulted the chickens?

colleeeen said...

Steph: I have been checking! But it's always variations on white or beige.

Rachel: They seem to favor "Rawwwk bwok rawwwwk."

Kathryn said...

I typically play it safe when it comes to painting. But I'm thinking that if I had a chicken coop and couldn't decide which colors that I would just use all of them. I'm picturing a green as a background color with the lava orange and coral in stripes and fucshia and peacock blue polka dots. That would be sooo cool.

samandholly said...

Close your eyes, spin around three times, stick out your finger and walk until you hit a color. That's the one that Fate has decreed is perfect.

Colleen, Mike and Abbie said...

If the outside stuff is going to be yellow...I would go with a fun purple or blue...they look great with yellow...Or maybe get the color strips and put them on the chicken coop floor...see what the chickens are drawn too...it MIGHT work...good luck...Post a picture when you get it done!

liannallama said...

try a nice kiwi--bright and cheery and will look nice against both the chickens and the yellow!

Anonymous said...

orange and coral and green will also go with yellow., but i think a peacock blue might have a calming effect and would look quite dazzling on the side yard.

i think a solid would be best, but i have a friend who can do venetian plaster, although really, it doesn't suit the architecture of the coop now does it? and would they appreciate it?

AND PICK UP THE OMNIVORES DILEMMA DAMMIT! you think you are a farmer now, i swear you and dan will be packed up and in the middle of nowhere rotating your cows by next spring.