Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Gee Whiz!

It's not that I have nothing to report - there's just too much!

We spent Memorial Day with friends we haven't seen in years (they've been in the US briefly after 5 years in Okinawa, and they're going back). It was wonderful to see them again, plus all the old friends who also came to see them. Since we'd be gone for 2 days, we put the girls in the almost-finished coop and "locked" the door by pushing bricks up against it, and left them food and water. I was terrified that they'd be murdered by raccoons and when we got home I had to send Dan to check on them because I just didn't have the stomach to discover their corpses. They were fine.

Last weekend Mom stayed over and we all took the train into LA for our occasional Olvera Street/Little Tokyo stroll. Next time we need to get brave and go over to Chinatown instead (yes, Don and Lee, I wish we could go see the real thing), or get into town earlier and go even farther. I think we'll try to go to the Hollywood Bowl this summer, too.

Last night I was able to go to a small party at Iris & John's house (remember Iris who saved me at the Fresh & Easy?). They went to Taiwan for their 10th anniversary and had some wonderful friends over for a slideshow (well, a digital slideshow - a projector connected to the computer and pointed at a blank wall). Their friend Larry played the ukulele in an asian style while we oohed and ahhed and laughed at the pictures. I felt like a cool person in a magazine, not at all like a dirty farmer housewife. I haven't seen a vacation slideshow since my Uncle Reed used to put them on for us when I was a kid. I have to convince Dan to get a projector.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Olvera Street! Have you ever eaten at El Cholo? Mmmmmmm.

Trish

Rachel said...

Getting around downtown on public transportation is one of my favorite things to do. You should definitely try China Town. Just hop the gold line for 1 stop and you're in the heart. And have you taken your boys to the Disney Concert hall? You can take a bus from union station up there. They have stairs going up and down the outside of it and it feels like you're exploring the inside of a giant metal flower.

Stephanie said...

One weekend I will have to come down and we will have to do this kind of wild and crazy stuff, just the two of us (maybe your mom, too!).

The Arizona Anachronism said...

But if we lived in China "town", we could at least get out sometimes! There isn't a good enchilada for almost 7000 miles!

Lee said...

If you have a Chinatown, can we have an Americatown?

Ahh, slideshows. A dying art. And Reed is the master.