Saturday, June 27, 2009

Here It Comes Again


Ahhh, the feeling of anxiety that only college can give me. The Fall 2009 schedule is out, and I am not eligible to register until EIGHT DAYS after registration opens. I can receive email updates on the classes I want, but I know what those emails will say on either Day 1 or Day 2: CLASS FULL. And I still don't know what I'm going to do with Eli.

I am scrambling to get more stuff planted before summer hits too hard. I finally got my Crimson Sweet watermelon seedlings in (although they are not so much seedlings now as they are mini-vines), and my Charentais melons. I put them in the second raised bed in the backyard - the first raised bed has Jarrahdale pumpkins (in the picture above) and banana melons. I planted a second crop of blue corn on the side of the house that will get the most sun this summer - the first crop is already quite tall and we pulled off an ear the other day just to see what stage it was at - white and milky and sweeeet. I got a great picture of Eli eating it, but I am SUCH a moron about pictures that I can't edit it down to a blog-useable size. Can anybody recommend a free or very cheap photo editing program for an ignoramus like me?

8 comments:

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

Man, I used one a few years ago that was free and I don't remember the name. It wasn't great but good enough. I think I found it from google and it was made by one of the big software makers. They're out there though.-Robb

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

I'm talking about photo editing software, that is.

thefoxkids said...

Hey Colleen
this is deffenately not the "Right" way to condence pictures but it's been working for me with the aweful dial up connection... first i make sure I save the pic's in a folder so I don't mess with the original on my SD card or what ever else you have them on.. then I go to that folder in "my Pictures" (in my documents) and select the pictures I want to post to the blog then I choose the option to "email pictures" it will ask if you want to make the pictures smaller I select yes.. THEN when the e-mail screen comes up (like your going to send an e-mail with the pic's as attachments) right click on each attachment (picture) and select save as then save them in the same folder you had them in and it will ask you if you want to replace it select yes.. after you've done that to each one exit out of the e-mail screen (it will ask if you want to save it select no) then you have small tiny files perfect for blogging...
ok so now be prepared to get many many replys saying i'm doing it ALL wrong.. i'm willing to accept that but in my non-teckie world it works for me..
good luck
KyLeyne (steph's sis)
p.s. i'm under the assumption your using a PC if your using a MAC disregard all of the above and realize I have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to mac's (and pc's for that matter too!) good luck!

Stephanie said...

I don't know anything about resizing photos for blogs - hence the lack of photos on my blog. I still like to see them, though. We have the photoshop elements, though, and we love it. It's not terribly expensive, but it's not free.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

if you double click on the phot it should open in windows picture manager. Click on edit photos, and go to resize. you can opt for preselected sizes or custom size. Its great for resizing. or i have photoshop and we can enhance the corn and eli, erasing blemishes and unsightly imperfections that make us all human.

Ken said...

For free online picture "hosting" you can try photobucket.com. Once you upload your photos, you can resize them there quite easily, get html code for them, etc. Might be worth a try.

colleeeen said...

Thanks y'all. I do not have Windows Picture Manager and I had a bit of a snit at Dan after he improved my computer by removing pretty much every Windows program.

Anonymous said...

finally, I could find your article once again. You have few [url=http://tipswift.com]useful tips[/url] for my school project. Now, I won't forget to bookmark it. :)