Friday, August 14, 2009

High Anxiety

I should watch that movie again - I can't remember if I liked it or not.

I am mildly nervous about our townhouse. The world's most awesome tenants are moving out this weekend. I have nobody else lined up, and I've even knocked $100 off the monthly rent. It was spectacularly bad timing, with the so-called vacation and the almost broken ankle and all that. If we don't find tenants soon, we may have to move back in. Which would be kind of lousy, but I'm steeling myself for it anyway and already have a backup vegetable garden plan - Willie, a lady in my ward, has offered her bare backyard for anyone who wants to grow veggies there. I'll give the chickens to Elizabeth, move what I can to Willie's yard and keep the tools there. I can start planting fall crops next month. It's good for Willie too - she's a widow on Social Security and she would of course get to eat all the veggies she wants.

It wouldn't be so bad to go back. I don't want to, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I also have it listed on Craigslist as a FSBO for $240k, we'll see if I get any bites other than Nigerian "businessmen" or people claiming to be Russian investors. Already I'm thinking about putting the master bath back in, some hidden shelves above the carport, and a window in the "loft" section of the second bedroom. It will all be OK.

I'm making a big pile of books and other household items to give away or sell, just in case. Stephanie: I have a fun old Sunset book on desert gardening for you. Kim: I have a Chinese bamboo steamer for you, and probably a heck of a lot more kitchen stuff. Anybody want lots of home-decorating sewing patterns? I have a box of 'em, but couldn't bring myself to give away the costume patterns.

4 comments:

liannallama said...

oh, I hope you find a new renter soon and you don't have to move! In any case I'd definitely put the bath back in if it's not too involved.

(((HUGS)))

Stephanie said...

I really hope you find a new renter soon. But it sounds like you have a plan either way . . .

I soooo wish I was closer.

Kimberly said...

I'm kinda sorta in limbo right now with the furnishing aspect of buying. My parents are in the post mission purge stage and only want me to get rid of anything and everything- and bring nothing else home. It makes it sort of tricky, but I understand their mindframe. They went from 33 years of accumilation here to a bare bones appartment in UT. with only the basic necessities and they found it to be appealing, so they are only trying to replicate the same feeling here... needless to say, we're almost on a first name basis with the local Goodwill after filling the traveling DI bins multiple times.

Anonymous said...

oh no!!! I'm so sorry my friend, but as you said it wouldn't be the worst thing. I'm sure you will be out of there sooner rather than later, but it might help in your effort to purge things (as you have been so good at doing lately).

But I don't know Kim and she doesn't get my kitchen stuff...lol, no, you do what is best for you. I know you lament the loss of a yard more than anything, but I know it will all work out in the end.

Call me soon! school starts for me next week. When does it start for you?

Stephen