Friday, October 23, 2009

Mailed It!

I mailed the letter - it went out on Wednesday. It should arrive in Michigan today or tomorrow, right? I will try not to be on tenterhooks - the lady may just throw it in the trash and never contact me. I worry that my offer was a little too low, but then maybe she's out of touch with local rent rates? $18,000 a year with no effort on her part isn't too bad, though. She could get much more in rent if she wanted, but then she'd have to arrange for contractors and such long-distance. I should neaten up the front yard, just in case she still has friends in the neighborhood and sends them over to spy on us. I just planted collard greens in the front yard boxes, but the yard is still empty. With the watering restrictions, I didn't bother doing anything in the front yard after the first crops failed.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Do you harvest greywater yet? It has really helped cut down our landscaping water use.

colleeeen said...

I save bathwater, but that's it. The washing machine is VERY poorly located for greywater saving - it's at the far end of the garage and that side of the house is completely fenced off from any other part of the yard. It would require loading the water barrel into the wheelbarrow, and then a very long and torturous wheelbarrow trip to get it over to where we grow the veggies. If we succeed in getting into that other empty house, it would be relatively easy to start saving water from the washer.

colleeeen said...

Oh, and I'm going to set up rainwater barrels this year, too. But I'm going to have to get creative with one of the downspouts - there's no way I can place a barrel directly under it because somebody had the brilliant idea to put it right over a hose bib.

Stephanie said...

I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. I hope they know what good people you are!

Robb, Rhonda and girls said...

I harvest rain water and only had to use the hose on the garden once this past summer.(and that is in a drought) But I've never heard of greywater harvesting. How do you go about saving bath water?

colleeeen said...

My way is very low-tech. I use soap that won't be too toxic for my plants (right now I'm using Dr. Bronner, but there is a brand called Oasis that is supposed to break down into plant nutrient molecules), and then I cart the water out to the yard in a 3-gallon bucket. It's mildly annoying but I call it exercise and that makes it tolerable. There's a whole book dedicated to salvaging greywater, called "The New Create An Oasis With Greywater", by Art Ludwig. It's $14 at amazon.