Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The two F's

Flu and fibroids.

I'm not sure if this is my annual massive allergy attack or the flu. Either way, I am a miserable woman. Meds aren't helping. And yesterday my doctor (Dr. House, if you can believe that - I have never made a single joke!) confirmed what I have suspected for a while - I have a "substantial" uterine fibroid. Lucky me, I get tests and an ultrasound. I'm fairly certain this explains why I have felt awful in my abdomen for the last month or so. I've been able to feel the fibroid by external palpation for a while now, but I think the sucker is growing fast. It's way too early to know what will be done about it, but a couple of the treatment options would mean officially closing the door on my fertility. Which, even though I have already chosen to have no more kidlets for many, many reasons, still feels strange.

5 comments:

Kathryn said...

I hear ya! I'm right there with you, except mine is monthly gone haywire. After 27 years I'm done. I can't take it anymore. Still trying to decide on choice of treatment. But both choices mean no more children. I'm okay with that. I have my two beautiful, crazy girls. But I know once I make the final decision it'll hit like a ton of bricks that it's final.

And Dr. House? Okay I can think of a few funny things but it just kind of reminds me when Katelyn was about 3 and I took her in for a sick visit and just took first available and the doctor walks in and says "Hi, I'm Dr. Payne." (as in pain) She might have been a late talker but she understood things and I thought my poor kid was going to go through the roof. She didn't want the doctor to touch her after that. haha!

Julia Harps said...

My doctor is Dr. House too! I wonder if it's the same guy since I have Kaiser.
I can't decide if I'm really done or not and it drives me a little crazy.

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry sweetheart. Whatever you decide, it will be for the best. Fibroids suck! Love you bunches.

liannallama said...

I bet it's allergies--mine are terrible right now! I hope they can pick a non-invasive and easy treatment for the fibroids. I hate to think what trouble that must be for you! (((HUGS)))

Kimberly said...

I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope your treatment is as uncomplicated as possible. I feel you about the fertility issue. Although if the urge ever struck post treatment, you could always consider adoption/fostering- which I know is weird for some people, but it gives me comfort in case I ever have to close my door.