Thursday, January 28, 2010

As if I'm not already busy enough

I am trying to organize a women's musical collective. Composing a Craigslist ad for this is tricky, as I attempt to convey that we are not looking to establish a mystical Lilith Faire-type feminine empowerment group, but rather just looking to play music without having to deal with any male/female sexual tension or the occasional patriarchal nonsense that can occur when working with men. I've found a woman named Linda who is a drummer, and we are trying to attract chicks who play pretty much anything to have a once a week (or once every other week) jam session.

Intermediate Algebra is in full swing. So far I am at 100% but I know that will inevitably slip. I had to turn in today's homework with two "I do not understand the question" answers. Since that's 2 out of roughly 100 problems, I hope I won't get dinged for lack of completion. We are working on linear functions now, using slope and y-intercepts. Do you remember f(x)= m*x+b? It's apparently all graphing from here on out. I find graphing tedious, but Daniel LOVES this stuff so at least I have an enthusiastic tutor when I need him. My professor fits loosely into the "loveable a-hole" category; he is entertaining and loaded with personality and mocks students very gently. He tried to give me a sticker this morning because I got a perfect score on the quiz (YES I'm bragging), which is absolute mockery but I don't mind.

Our insane, possibly drought-busting (temporarily) rains have made quite a headache for me. The chicken's run is soggy mud and their bedding got wet. I need to fence off the veggies and let the girls run loose in the side yard. This SUCKS because I am busy and lazy and the thought of fencing it off makes me want to cry a little bit. I'd better go forage for broken branches in the creek and get started.

6 comments:

Julia Harps said...

you're amazing and fun. you do cool things.

colleeeen said...

shouldn't you be packing? ;) dang, I'm going to miss you.

Stephanie said...

I agree with Julia. Good luck with the girl band - I hope you find some cool chickas to jam with.

Rachel said...

1.) I broke out in hives just glancing over your math paragraph.

2.) What do you mean he "tried" to give you a sticker. Did he offer and you didn't take it? Or was he mockingly offering you one? Because being offered a sticker and refusing it is just place crazy.

colleeeen said...

He offered. I declined. I explained that since I have children I am already drowning in stickers (on the house windows, the car windows, the furniture, ruined in the laundry...) and didn't need to add to the insanity.

Kimberly said...

I always feel a bit lost helping Sabrina with her pre-algebra work even, so I'm a bit jealous that you're doing well in the intermediate coursework... Algebra just about kills me.

I understand the whole woman thing. I wish I had time to devote to learning more myself, like how to string my guitar and such. It is amazing what leaves you when you don't use it.