Sunday, April 04, 2010

HAPPY EASTER

First of all, have a glorious Easter. I am not one for sentiment, but this is my favorite holiday because of the hopefulness of the message of the resurrection. And just typing that took more out of me than you can know. Now, on to lighter fare:

The Menu:

Braised Lamb Shanks with Fennel and Baby Potatoes

Minted Fava Bean, Almond and Parmesan Salad
Green Salad with Cucumbers and Homemade Croutons
Grilled Asparagus
Brown Rice
Silly Molded Raspberry Pudding with fresh fruit

My sister is bringing scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, and Bixby Salad, which is a jello concoction that has pecans, cottage cheese, pineapple, celery and who knows what else in it (a nod to our shamefully caloric and jello-based mid-century Mormon culinary heritage). My in-laws are bringing a Honeybaked ham, because for them it is just not a holiday without a Honeybaked ham. I am a food snob, I freely admit it, but all I can do is smile and sigh inside.

(Sigh)


We made cascarones - confetti-filled eggshells that kids get to crack on each others' heads. Those are for when the cousins come over later - we'll have two egg hunst today. I tricked the boys into staying up late last night so I could hide eggs in the yard at leisure this morning. So I'd better get to work on that and start braising the lamb. Yummers.

Anybody else hosting or cooking a lot? Whatcha cookin'?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

We went over to Grammy's apartment complex today. They had a buffet. I have to admit that it was nice to not have to cook or clean - but I would have loved to make braised lamb shanks and a lovely minted salad.

You are a lovely hostess.

colleeeen said...

Oh, a buffet sounds lovely. You should see the wake of disaster left in my kitchen now.

Maybe I'll get to host you someday. I hope it was all lovely for you.

Anonymous said...

i'm jealous. I cannot try anything new with my extended family, and my brother's dietary restrictions often place me at his mercy. I didn't cook this holiday (we went out to Marie Callendar's lol and were there when the earthquake hit!), the only thing on your menu that might have been somewhat acceptable would be the molded jello salad!

The few times I have tried anything new, I always have to make the "old" stuff as a back-up and thats just too much work. Everyone is so freaking picky! JUST EAT IT and be thankful you didn't have to cook it or clean it (that's my motto anyway).

Glad you were able to do something new. I'll talk to you at the end of this week. Still have some paper to write, and then studying for anatomy woo-hoo!!!

S

christine said...

everything was super yummy, from Colleen's gourmet cuisine to my comfort foods. I ate waaaaay too much! Thanks for the feast sis!!