Friday, May 28, 2010

Oh, that Eli.

Eli thinks everything I say is wrong and must be tested. So yesterday I was on the floor, ironing out the fabric I'm using for Paul's baptism pants. I explicitly told Eli not to touch the iron, that it was hot and would burn him. Remember that he is five years old in one month and completely able to understand everything I told him. I got up and left the room, leaving the iron sitting up next to the fabric, and when I came back the iron was down (luckily it has a safety shutoff). I picked it up, waited for it to re-heat, and began moving the fabric.

Eli walked in, looking very sad and upset, and immediately began harassing me about why I owned an iron. "You shouldn't have bought that thing! What do you need it for? Why do they even exist? Why don't you get rid of it!" I noticed he was cradling his left hand, put that all together with the iron being moved, and asked "Did you touch the iron? Did it burn you?"

With tears in his eyes, he denied it all. A little later I was making him a snack and noticed again how sad he looked and how he was cradling his left hand. I said "Show me your hand," but of course he wouldn't. I finally got him to open it, and of course there's a small burn near the top of his palm. I got him an ice pack and then began interrogating him. Eli has a huge problem with confessing his wrongdoings, so I usually try pretty hard to get it out of him.

"How did you hurt your hand?"

"I was playing outside and I fell and hurt it."

"No you didn't. That's a burn, not a scrape."

"I was playing outside and the sun got so hot it burned my hand."

"No, it didn't. The sun would have burned your whole body, too. Did you touch my iron and get burned?"

"Noooooooooooooo! I don't remember!"

At this point he melted down, crawled into my lap and sobbed. We went and laid down on my bed together until he calmed down.

D was finally able to elicit a very petulant confession much later in the evening. I am going to milk this incident for all I can in terms of reminding him that many times I am correct in what I tell him and that he can potentially get hurt if he disobeys my instructions. This is why he is never taken to the Grand Canyon - can you imagine? "Eli, don't go near that cliff."

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

I hope one day he learns how smart you are - it took me until I was in college to figure it out about my parents. Good luck.

courtney said...

haha i LOVE him even though he thinks your wrong.

liannallama said...

oh, what a stubborn thing he is, hahaha! Glad he is ok and maybe next time he will listen!

Kimba said...

He's a creative little man.... the sun got so hot it burned him. He just craves independence and doesn't have the life wisdom to admit that he doesn't have the right tools for it yet. Hopefully he'll catch on.

Tara said...

I love you! I can relate to this on so many levels. Eli is great and a very smart kid. How else could he think of so many creative answers to keep you on your toes?

thefoxkids said...

I was complaining about this very thing (regarding my Hunter, there's something about 2nd boys hua?!) when someone told me, in this day and age our kids need to be stubborn to resist the aweful things this world has in it.. we wouldn't want our kiddo's to just rollover and go along with what everyone's doing.. I guess I could see the persons point but I could also see I don't want him to try all the aweful things of this world just because I said don't do it!! now that I re-read this, it isn't the most helpful post but i'm right there with you with a child that is stubborn, smart and very inventive.. he hasn't burned down the house yet so here's some hope for ya he just turned 12 I can't speak much after that, his older brother is just as stubborn but completely different on every level... your doing great.. keep it up!
KyLeyne