Friday, October 22, 2010

Closing & Opening

We are set to close escrow on November 1st.  Yikes.  I have my second Trig exam next Thursday as well, so you know I'm feeling no stress whatsoever. 

Since we are law-abiding people, we're going to give Mr. Landlord a proper 30-day notice, which means we'll be on the hook for about another month's rent.  I mailed him a letter offering to have carpet installed and to deduct that from the last payment, BUT that I would only do this if I was guaranteed a full return of my deposit.  The tricky thing is that Mr. Landlord has told me that his soon-to-be ex-wife has our deposit.  I hope that she will view us as allies against a common enemy and be gracious about giving us our money.  If I can't get a guarantee about that deposit, I'm going straight to the Orange County Fair Housing Authority and/or my friend Amy (she's a lawyer but she's on maternity leave) and getting a lawyer. 

The sellers counter-offered with a $3000 credit at closing, so if we combine that with the original $1500 credit we'll have $4500 back at closing that we can put toward repairs.  The repairs we had requested actually came in at about $3700, but we're not going to haggle too much over $700.  The floor, dishwasher, plumbing and insulation repairs have to be done first.  Then we'll weigh the windows against the roof (the roof could be patched for now and replaced later) and decide what to do. 

I have my winter seeds all laid out on the kitchen counter, deciding what to get started.  My garden will be much smaller now, but I'll just have to be more selective about what I grow, stricter about plant spacing, and creative about placement.  Peas are the best winter crop of all - they take up practically no ground space and the boys will eat them fresh off the vine.  I love peas.  We are also going to try to find somebody who would be willing to let me grow veggies in their backyard and share the crop with me, and MAYBE even somebody who would host chickens.  We miss fresh guilt-free eggs.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! Hooray! Huzzah! (And any other noises of jubilation you can think of!)

Kristy Lou said...

Congrats! I know it is a lot of stress now, but it will be so worth it when you don't have to deal with that loser anymore. Good luck for a great close.

Stephanie said...

Sometimes I wish good law-abiding citizens could catch a break or two against the evil landlords of the world. Too bad you have a conscience.

christine said...

Trailer trash FTW!!

Kimba said...

Whoo hoo! I'm excited for all of you. Here's hoping that you don't have to take the evil landlord to small claims to get that deposit back. What a complete screw up.

Tara said...

So excited for you guys!!! You can have our yard to grow veggies in and host your chickens. I would love it!