Monday, November 29, 2010

It Never Ends

Dan and Eli both got sick last week, so I finished up as much as I could on my own.  I'm hoping I can sneak back over this week and get as much as I can from the yard, but it looked like Mr. Landlord's truck was parked in front of the house today so I just drove on by. 

I have given up on passing my Trig final.  With all the work this move has required, I can't see how I can possibly catch up now.  I'll try to talk with my professor tomorrow and see what my best option is - I would like to be able to re-take the class, maybe next fall.   I have consistently been an A student, so this is a little bit painful for me.

I am slowly getting unpacked, but I really (REALLY) need some better bookcase options.  I am not at all sure I can build them myself, but the off-the-shelf options I've found are disappointing and I'm not finding much on Craigslist besides junky laminate bookcases with saggy shelves.  It's going to take a lot of work to get the sunniest part of the yard prepped for gardening - It's covered in that horrible "landscaping" gravel that seems quite popular with mobile home owners.  I can get most of it off fairly easily (it's on top of heavy-duty landscaping fabric), but there is a fair amount embedded in the dirt underneath so I will have to build a sifting screen to get more of the rocks out.  THEN I have to figure out what on earth I'm going to do with all of that gravel.  Maybe I'll make a "free rocks" sign and cross my fingers.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Somewhere around here I have a sifting screen I used years ago. If I find it, do you want to borrow it? It's sturdy, but not terribly big.

Julia Harps said...

you amaze me. I wish I had your ambition.

Kathryn said...

You know even if they are probably laminate, I have got to say that I have been very happy with my IKEA Billy bookcases. First one I got was 10 years ago and it has held up wonderfully....even through two moves in a year that we did 5 yrs ago. Since then we've added 2 more to the house. One for me, one for the girls. The prices wasn't bad either for them. We managed to get them all on sale for each purchase and 3 times spent under $100 for them. They aren't as pretty as the one my dad built for me when I was 16 that I still have but they are nice and sturdy and not ugly. I've seen them on craiglist alot for the Los Angeles area. Just never listed as Billy bookcases...only as Ikea bookcases.

colleeeen said...

Bookcase problem partially solved. Walked into a resale shop and found two matching 8' tall oak bookcases for not much more than I would have paid at Ikea, PLUS free delivery. I will be visiting that store again. They don't fit everything, but they are officially the nicest bookcases we have ever owned and it's a start.