Monday, January 03, 2011

Discouragement

It's inevitable that the moment of discouragement comes, particularly for someone like me whose mind is often a maelstrom of feelings.  Most of the time I have the tempest contained, but obstacles and failures sometimes knock it loose a bit and then I struggle.

Christmas is always difficult.  Add in unpacking a house, mild disagreements on how to organize and what new furniture we need (which currently means a stalemate and an office/dining room that looks awful and depressing), kids fighting, a failed vacation, technical difficulties and other seemingly endless demands on my time, and I have reached a point of discourage. 

How do you rally yourself?  I've given up several unhealthy self-comforts lately, so I need ideas. 

8 comments:

Stephanie said...

Just remember all the people who love you . . . seriously. There are a ton of us!

samandholly said...

Loud punk rock!

Rachel said...

I'm with Sam on this one, something loud and fast that I can jump around to and get the endorphins going. And prayer, lots and lots of prayer.
Do you need help unpacking? I have Friday afternoons off.

colleeeen said...

The big problem right now is organization and layout. We need to have some custom stuff made or found for the dining room/workspace. Dan and I just can't agree on the layout and workspace arrangements. We can't even agree on the height of the desktops. This is another thing we should have used last weekend for, but instead we went off on an ill-advised family vacation that was pretty much a dud. Now the kids are back in school and still have no dedicated work area for their homework, and I am beating myself up over it and have no solution. Work soothes me. Having no solutions undoes me.

Jessica said...

I always feel better when I throw stuff out/give stuff away. Gives ma serious boost to see the extra space cleared out, even if it was just one grocery bag's worth. But I'm weird that way.

Jessica said...

Oh, is there any way to rig a temporary "hey, lets try it this way" arrangement to see what really might work? I'm thinking a slab of flattened cardboard boxes on top of full cardboard boxes in about what you think is the proper place.

liannallama said...

(((HUGS))) Well, lots of kids do their homework at the kitchen table so don't worry if it's not a special space yet--you will get it one step at a time. Remember you just moved in and this stuff takes time. Take a deep breath and a hot bubble bath. Can you take a day alone to escape and go hiking?

maybe you can get some adjustable height desks and try Dan's arrangement temporarily and adjust from there.

thefoxkids said...

how about borrow a table (or 2) from the church bldg (can you do that where you are??? I have a key to my bldg so I would do it w/ out asking permission ha! so maybe find someone with a key and don't ask) anyway that way you can test out table heights (obviously make sure it's a table that can be adjusted) that way your not out any money and you can even play abit with layout..
good luck