Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Gig

So I sing now for this band. I'd tell you the name and give you the MySpace link, except we're considering finding a new name and all the songs on the page are still recordings of the previous singer, and you're all fans of ME anyway.  The old name was the one they used when they were a cover band, and since they want to focus on original songs they feel a new name may be in order. Band names are tricky, but I welcome your ideas.

And we may have our first gig.  It's really low-key, an art gallery in Santa Ana is having an open house and we'd play for around an hour.  But it's less than a month away and putting together an hour of music is actually a lot of work.  I think we can handle it, it just means putting together a set list and rehearsing the list only until we feel ready.

It's fun, this band thing.  It's challenging and gets me out of the house.  I don't really know how to describe the sound.  Vintage rock & roll with influences from folk, swing, blues & jazz.  I get to sing many different styles and intensity levels, and we have a LOT of harmony - Dave, the guitarist, sings as well and some of our stuff is downright lovely.  I occasionally get the chills in rehearsal.  Dave thought "The Chills" would be a cool band name, but we're not a beatnik band, baby!

2 comments:

Kimba said...

It sounds like a lot of fun. Congratulations on finding an outlet for your creative energy. Good luck finding a name that'll fit you all well. How'd you find them/ they find you?

colleeeen said...

The magic of craigslist. I'd been trying for at least a year to find some people to make music with, but had no luck. I answered their ad and we hit it off.