Friday, February 18, 2011

Knock It Off

Enough whining.  The desks are finally coming together.  I ordered the desktops (two 96"x30" solid-core doors), bought four drawer units and one generic cabinet from IKEA, and requested a custom quote for the one cabinet that's been bedeviling us - we want pull-out shelves for the printer & scanner.  The IKEA junk looks like this:




Each one of us gets our own drawer unit, and the cabinet will hold our network server.  The desktops will arrive next week and I am chomping at the bit to get the desks set up.

We also finally broke down and bought a new sink & faucet.  Our current faucet leaks (we knew about this from the inspection and bargained accordingly) and the sink is pretty shallow (none of my cookware can be machine-washed), so Dan finally got fed up with it.  The new sink is white granite composite and looks like this:
The left side is 10 inches deep!  Heaven.  And the new faucet:

There's still a lot to be done, but getting the office together will be such a relief.  I'm more excited about that than anything else.

Band-related news: we have our first gig this Saturday as part of the Santa Ana Art Walk.  It's going to rain, so the audience will probably be minimal.  BUT it's a low-key, low-pressure gig that will give me some live experience before we start working harder for better gigs.  I've been trying to figure out what to wear all week.

Paul news:  We had a meeting with the school psychologist, the RSP teacher, Paul's teacher and the immersion speech pathologist this week.  The school district is already in violation of the law, since I submitted a request for assessment and they have not provided me with any paperwork within 15 days of my request.  Sigh.  I'm patient for now, but I was told I would be e-mailed a questionnaire and that has not happened yet, so I will soon hit a low simmer.   We have also received approval for 10 hours of testing through our insurance, and Paul spent about 1.5 hours this week with our private psych.  Her preliminary assessment is that he's a gifted child (duh) with "classic ADHD."  I dispute the H part, because I think Paul was just excited to be out of school and having a new and interesting experience.  I've seen no hyperactivity at home and his teacher also is very firm that there are no hyperactivity issues at school.  He just mentally floats away.  I'll fight that minor battle later and just let the assessments continue for now.

5 comments:

samandholly said...

Regarding the "H", it is all adhd. The two subtypes are hyperactive/impulsive and inattentive. So push on the timelines, ignore the H.

Jessica said...

Yep, what samandholly said. But do try to be sympathetic to the school folks if at all possible. They've been cut to the bone (or at least ours have) and are *probably* doing the best that they can with what they have left. If they are, you will get much farther in the long run being cooperative. If it turns out they are in fact yanking your chain, go ahead and rip them a new one. It will feel good, and won't hurt a situation that was already hopelessly broken.

thefoxkids said...

oh I am living your paralel life!!! be glad your doing this NOW and not in the start of middle school (ask me how I know!) although I have to say if we had continued in CA schools i probably would have reared it's ugly head earlier (our son didn't have a class larger than 19 kids until 6th grade (with the exception of 1st grade in CA where he had 28..
anyway why on why do I ALWAYS rambel on your blog comments!!! your on the right track!!! keep it up!! and about the H.. I know there are differing opinions but in my experience the H label DOES make a difference.. there are even medications that WILL NOT WORK for kids with out H who have been lumped into the adHd pile..
as always big hugs!

liannallama said...

glad you are getting things fixed up around the house! It is awesome to have a nice sink and places to put your stuff! Hope they can figure out some things to help with Paul.

Stephanie said...

You are an amazing mother who has the power of discernment when it comes to your kid. I think you are being very wise.

I can't wait to see pictures of your new digs - enjoy the new sink and kitchen stuff, too!

Love to you!